Wednesday, December 16, 2009

December 16th, 2009

Icecrown Citadel 25 (Priest)
Last night I was delighted to get an invite to ICC25. I really expected not to get a spot but somehow I lucked out. Woo hoo! It was a ton of fun. We only wiped a few times -- one was intentional since someone activated the ship event while some of our raid members were not yet on it. I got the Storming the Citadel (25-Player) achievement.

I had terrible disconnection issues last night. I disconnected several times throughout the Lady Deathwhisper fight. I was sure they were going to replace me because of it. But, during a 10 minute break I rebooted my computer router and modem. No more disconnects the rest of the night! Woo hoo!

I didn't get any drops (more on that below). But, I got to see the content, which is awesome. :-)

Ulduar 25 (Priest)
After ICC we went to Ulduar 25 to do the weekly raid quest (or whatever it's called). Deconstructor was the goal. I got two achievements from the run: Must Deconstruct Faster (25-player) and Three Car Garage (25-player). Others got Unbroken (25-player), but I already had it.

Onyxia 25 (Priest)
We then knocked out Onyxia really quickly before calling it a night.

Icecrown Citadel 10 (Priest)
After the 25-man raid was over, my 10-man team gathered. We sailed through Icecrown Citadel in an hour and a half. Pretty good, considering it was my first time in there as DPS. It's a heck of a lot easier than ToC. Of course, I am playing with some top notch players...and it's only the first quarter of the instance.

I didn't get any drops. /sigh

Also, as I mentioned above, I was DPS for the run. That's a mixed blessing. On one hand, it makes me self conscious that I'm relegated to DPS for these 10-man runs lately. Though, I can't deny the fact that the other two healers are much better geared than I, so it's best for the raid.

On the other hand, it's a great way to see the DPS side of things. In the past, I've only understood the DPS role in raids based on listening to raid leaders describe things to the DPS team. Since I'm doing both healing (25-man) and dps (10-man), I'm getting both perspectives. It was really helpful last night. When we did the gunship encounter on 25-man I had no clue what was going on. I just healed. But after doing it as dps on 10-man I figured it out. That fight, by the way, is very fun. :-)

So...if I'm going to be mostly DPS in our 10-mans, I better get some dps gear. Triumph Badges are easier to come by now, so I think it will be easy for me to get the non-trophy tier gear from ToC. DPSing with my healing tier gear is definitely hurting my effectiveness.

Mage Guild
So, last night before I logged in with my priest I logged on my mage. I said goodbye to the guild members that were on. I /gquit then joined the guild my fellow officers had joined. It felt weird...but I'm glad I finally did it. Of course, I couldn't stay on because I had to switch to my priest.

Winter Veil
Winter Veil started last night. In order to get the Merrymaker title, I only have three achievements to get: With a Little Helper From my Friends, Fa-la-la-la-Ogri'la and Bros. Before Ho Ho Ho's. Doesn't seem too hard. I hope I get can do it!

What's Good for the Guild...
I need to vent. I have no right to be bothered by this. Before joining the guild I read the loot distribution rules. I signed the application form stating that I understood the rules and agreed with them.

That doesn't mean I won't sulk about them sometimes.

Last night there was only one priestly drop -- the Frozen Bonespike. I rolled for it -- it would have been a great upgrade over my Plasma Foil. Yeah...after all these months, I'm still walking around with an Ulduar 10 weapon. My luck with getting weapon drops is abysmal. Remember almost a year ago when I tried day in and day out to get the mace in Nexus? /sigh

I rolled on it, not really expecting to get it, knowing the rules of loot distribution. As expected, it went to a higher ranking priest. It's all good...that's how it works in this guild.

So what irks me about this? The guild leader recently gave a speech about loot distribution...stating that "for the good of the guild", in addition to the normal loot rules (rank first, EPGP 2nd, etc.), the relative upgrade of an item will be considered when deciding who gets an item. In other words, if two people are rolling on the same item, for the good of the guild, the loot council might decide to give it to the person who would be getting the biggest upgrade from it, regardless of rank or EPGP.

So, what happened last night? The priest who just two weeks ago won Misery's End, and then last week won a dagger (I don't remember which), is the person who was awarded this dagger. Was that decision in line with the loot rules? Absolutely. He is a higher rank than I and has more Priority in EPGP.

But what about all that stuff about "what's best for the guild"? The upgrade he got last night was relatively minor. It would have been a MAJOR upgrade for me. My healing power already fell far short of his. Now the gap is going to be even wider.

So what's better for the guild? To further increase the effectiveness of one of the top geared healers? Or to increase the effectiveness of one of the lesser geared healers? Is it more beneficial for his healing power to go higher? Or for mine to be brought up closer to his?

Since we're exploring new content, it's going to be like this for a while. Like I said, I understand the loot distribution rules. When I joined the guild I confirmed that I understood them.

That doesn't mean I have to like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment