Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 2, 2009

This past weekend had its high points and its low points. When all was said and done, it was a good one. :-) I don't even remember what I did on Friday night. I think that's the night that I tried healing a VoA Heroic but we couldn't get the new boss down. But, I really don't remember.

Have My Friends Forgotten Me?
On Saturday I logged in and checked the status of our Naxx invite. Everyone except two people had declined. Lots of them were on line. Several whispers later I understood what had happened. All of them had made alternate Naxx plans with the same people on the invite. Huh? Well, I guess with our Raid Leader on sabbatical most people started making other plans. Part of me understands this but another part doesn't. If we sent out an invite, doesn't that mean we're planning on going, even though our Raid Leader is on sabbatical?

Anyway...so I sat there wondering what to do. I had my heart set on going to Naxx and was now unable to. None of the other groups had spots for me. This brings me to the title of this section....have my friends forgotten me?

WARNING: Self Pity Time

After months of helping my friends in instances and raids, getting no equipment for myself but going just to be with friends and help gear them up, I find myself suddenly alone. No one is returning the favor. They're geared and in Naxx without me, not even considering inviting me to join them. I felt betrayed, abandoned, used, unappreciated. All that and more. I let these feeling fester until I couldn't take it anymore and I logged off.

The honest truth -- I was mad at myself. The whole situation was my fault for several reasons. I knew long ago that, if I wanted to raid, I should move my toons to a raiding guild. But I didn't. When my guild broke up I had the perfect opportunity to join an established raiding guild. But I didn't. Instead I went back to my previous guild of 5 people, knowing full well that a couple would have to go on sabbatical. (And, little did I know that the other couple would do the same thing.) So, I am now all alone in a guild. And I'm angry at myself for putting myself into this position.

After taking a couple hours off to rethink it all, I logged back in with a better outlook. I reached out to the leaders of both of the "competing" raids and asked them to include me on their invites for the coming week. They were both very happy to invite me and...I got the invites by the end of the day.

Problem solved. Lesson learned: Passive aggression doesn't work.

Naxxramas (heroic)
Later that afternoon I got an invite to a heroic Naxx run that needed DPS. I was reluctant at first, considering my mage still didn't have normal Naxx gear. My reluctance was warranted. I was bottom of the DPS chart. And they noticed. The whole run is a blur to me -- I don't even remember which quarter we were in. I just know my DPS was so low that they chose to boot me.

Naxxramas
With my spirits low, I persevered and spent most of the rest of Saturday in LFG, waiting for an invite to regular Naxx. Finally late in the day it arrived. It was a guild run with only two non-guildies. They were a very nice group. Very nice. I'm not sure which guild number I'm up to at this point. Maybe #5?

We started in Arachnid and got down the first boss easily. We wiped on the second boss. With trepidation, I spoke up and suggested they not move the boss so far from her minions, so she'd be close when we killed each one. We executed it flawlessly. My spirits began to rise.

Oh...and I was top of the DPS chart. :-)

We got to Maexxna. After three wipes (so reminiscent of our first guild runs), we finally got her down.

Then we moved on to Plague wing. No problems with Noth, but on Heigan I was so embarassed. I died on the first try because of misjudging a stopping point. On the second try my NAV activated and popped me out of the game. Though they were light hearted about it, they surely didn't believe my story. We got him down, despite my deaths. :)

Then we got to Loatheb. That was my first time on him as DPS. It was so much easier than as a healer. I remained at the top of the charts and I also got two drops -- tier shoulders and a shiny new staff with a living bat on the tip. I was elated at having gotten the shoulders...considering my priest who is decked out in 25-man gear is still wearing blue shoulders! And the staff, well, that was icing on the cake.

That was the end of the night...resuming on Monday.

Naxxramas (heroic)
I tell you, my memory is truly failing. On Sunday, which was only yesterday, I spent the day playing on either my mage or my priest. But, I can't remember anything that took place before I joined a 25-man Naxx run on my priest in the evening. Ugh...I hate getting old. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I can't remember what I did.

So...I joined a PuG for 25-man Naxx. It was a group that had already done Arachnid and had gotten as far as Heigan in Plague. So, after over an hour of waiting for all the spots to fill, we started the run. Heigan was a disaster. I can proudly say that I was the last to die on each failed attempt. Some days I can do the dance with no problem. Why can't I always do so?

Anyway...after the fourth attempt, I was ready to leave. I had already invested a few hours and we were still on the first encounter. People were just not getting the dance. But, I decided to give it one more try. Having been identified as the healing lead since my heals were highest and I was the only healer who could actually dance, I instructed all those who could do so to purge the disease. (I had noticed that, although 5 people in the raid could do it, only two of actually were.) The next attempt was successful. And I I got a beautiful new trinket. One of the nice things was that everyone was saying that I fully deserved it, regardless of whether or not I won the roll, because of my excellent performance, healing leadership and patience with them.

Any doubts about my self esteem were erased. I am good at this game! :-)

After several bad attempts at making it through the hallway to Loatheb, we finally had someone switch to his warlock. Loatheb went down -- boom!

At that point we decided to stop. There were lots -- LOTS -- of annoyed people. We had all spent about 4 hours and had only gotten down two bosses. That's what happens when you try to organize a 25-man pug. At least I got a trinket out of it.

Naxxramas (part2)

Last night after work I went back to Naxx on my mage with the group from Saturday night. There was some crisis (ment) at the beginning that had to be worked out, but we got on our way within a half hour after the scheduled time. We headed to the Construct quarter first -- brought down Patchwerk on the first shot. My dps was a respectable 3200. I was stoked. We followed up with a one-shot on Grobbulus.

Then Gluth. Ahh...Gluth. After two wipes, we switched a dps out for his tank. It's so much easier with three tanks.

Thaddius was next -- only one death. It was such an easy kill and my dps was way up there again. And....I got a fashionable new hat (which looks quite a bit like the one on my priest). Although the guys were really nice, I could tell they were not overly happy with me getting another item. It was the third for me for the week, but the only one from yesterday. And, since the loot tally was reset yesterday, they graciously gave it to me. Yay!

We went to Military quarter and tried three times to do the Instructor fight. Each attempt went better than the previous, but we still failed. After the third wipe, we decided to call it.

So...I went from feeling sorry for myself at the beginning of the weekend to being elated that I had so much time in Naxx and I had three new pieces for my mage and one for my priest.

I do feel kinda bad for the guild with the crisis. They liked me a lot (I was the top DPS) and indicated that they would like me to come back with them. But, tomorrow starts my new schedule of going with the guilds that were "competing" with my guild's regular time slot. So...I've gone from no invites to too many.

What's a girl to do? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment