Thursday, April 9, 2009

April 9, 2009

I'm sure someone reading my blog might want to throw their arms up in frustration and say, "Stop complaining and do something already!" But, luckily for me, I don't think anyone is actually reading this. =)

Guild Stuff
I'm at the point that I'm not so concerned anymore about anyone figuring out it's me writing this blog. My frustration level is that high.

Late last night we got a group together to run Heroic Nexus. I had to use my priest because we currently have no healers other than her. Well, we do, but the other priest has been having computer issues lately and the resto druid is the one living in the past. So, basically, it's just me. Don't get me started on how much I'm beginning to resent having no choice but to heal. Anyway, we had a PuG rogue and the rest were our GM tanking, our resident warrior/warlock, and a DK. We've been having problems forever with our warlock having incredibly low dps. Well, after last night's run, which took forever, we showed the recount statistics and the warlock was top of the list for DPS. People were applauding him. But all I could think was WTF? His DPS hasn't improved at all recently. It's still at 1300. The only reason he was on top last night was because everyone else's DPS was even worse. He has been 80 for months. Why hasn't he improved??? And why are people applauding him when they should really be pointing out that his DPS hasn't increased in the last few months??

Agh! They're so frustrating.

Have I become so obsessed with gear and raiding that I've changed my viewpoint on what makes the game fun? I was not this way when 70 was the level cap. But, is that because by the time my priest was 70 there was no real opportunity to do heroics since that expansion had been out for so long? Or maybe because heroics and entry-level raiding were not as accessible as they are in this expansion? I used to be content leveling to 70 then playing around. Now, it's all about raiding and gear for me.

Is this change in focus OK? Or should I re-evaluate my priorities?

One obvious choice for me to make is to leave my casual social guild and join a raiding guild. But, is that what I really want? Do I want to join a guild that has a regular schedule and expectations of their members? Do I want my full focus to be on raiding? Will it come to the point that I won't want to raid anymore and I'll miss the social aspect of my current guild?

In a way, my current situation meets my needs. I'm free to do what I want in guild and to interact with people with whom I've developed online-friendships. It only becomes a problem when my 25-man raid opportunities conflict with the 10-man raid plans of my guild. Well, also at any point I can be dropped from the invite list of another guild since they have no loyalty to me. I mean, if they get another priest into their guild, why would they invite me over her? It makes perfect sense and it's the risk I take by continuing to be a PuG raider.

But, if I joined a raiding guild I'd have a guaranteed spot. I'd have access to a group of people who can actually get through heroics. I'd be able to gear up and prepare for Ulduar. And, one thing I've never considered, I might even find a good group of people to interact with. Just because my current guild is filled with nice social people, that doesn't mean a raiding guild can't have people of equal caliber.

I can't play this game forever. When I do finally quit, what will I want to have accomplished?

No comments:

Post a Comment