Wednesday, April 8, 2009

April 8, 2009

Living in the Past
Apparently, a couple of my guild members are living in the past. They are a married couple who took several months off of playing right when Wrath was about to hit. So, they missed the initial leveling phase that all of us went through. They came back about a month ago and started leveling their mains. Good for us, since one was the main tank of my old guild and the other was an awesome healer. I was excited. I hoped they would level quickly then be able to join us in Heroics and Raids.

Well, that's not what they did. Instead, they've spent almost their entire time in the old world getting achievements. At first I thought it was just a phase. But it ended up being an obsession. We'd ask them if they wanted us to run them through some dungeons, and they'd say "no, doing Scarlet Monestary" or, "No, fishing to get the xxx achievement." On their level 70+ toons!

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy getting achievements and occasionally go out of my way to get one when I have nothing better to do. But, I just can't understand their focus on them while they still have an entire new continent to explore. So much new content. So much better gear.

Well, they finally dinged 80 a couple nights ago (yes, they were questing now and then). They seemed really excited about being 80, so I thought they were finally ready to join the rest of us. But, what's the first thing they decide to do? Go to Kara! WTF???? Kara's fun and all, and going there with a bunch of 80s makes it a piece of cake. But, really, that's the first thing you do when you hit 80?

Not wanting to be a bad sport, I went along. I chose to take the opportunity to try to convince them, gently of course, to turn their sights on Northrend content. But, their answers amazed me. They were in Kara because they wanted an enchant drop that they had never been able to get pre-Wrath. An enchant drop? An enchant that is totally useless now that there are better ones available? Ugh!

Also, before the run started, the two of them were focused on making sure we had all of our potions, food buffs, etc. We delayed the start of the run for almost 45 minutes because of their insistence that we be as buffed as possible. Why the heck? We're friggin lvl 80s and most of us have epic gear on!

We get in there and tear through the mobs so quickly it's not even funny. We were so OP for that place that we were rarely in danger of anyone dying. But the druid healer, still stuck in the past, panicked and SCREAMED in Vent every time she got aggro. For heaven's sake! I can understand that reaction when we were going through Kara at 70. But, at 80? It's as if she thinks she, and the rest of us, are still lvl 70.

They're living in the past. I suspect they'll be stuck there for a while. It's so disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment